Back in May I looked in detail at user numbers around Twitter in Australia.
The main points were the following (full article here –> http://talkingdigital.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/facebooktwittermyspace-some-au-numbers/)
- How many people are using the product? 780,000 people in AU
- How long are they spending per month on it? 10 minutes
- How often do they return. 3.6 times a month
- What is their key demographic? 36% of Twitter users are aged 35-49
So now it’s almost October … and since then the site has evolved (new homepage design) plus has had a charmed run with PR and media covering it non stop.
Interestingly – if I write about Twitter on this blog it draws a load of traffic. Even a brief mention causes a traffic spike.
So anyway … Andrew Hunter from ninemsn was looking (on Twitter interestingly) for demographic info on Twitter users and found my May post. I thought it was probably time for an update on who’s using the site and how often.
I looked at Nielsen’s Netview numbers for August.
Gender wise the split is pretty much even. 52% male and 48% female.
However – in terms of consumption – females account for 67.8% of pageviews … males the remaining 32.2%.
So – there’s more males than females using the site but the female users are much heavier users.
If we look at ages
10% are under 18
10.3% are 18-24
22.3% are 25-34
33.3% are 35-49
24% are 50+
18-24 are the heaviest users in terms of pages consumed … they account for 10.3% of users but 22.8% of pages consumed.
So whilst 79% of Twitter users are aged over 25 … they are getting very strong traction in the 18-24 age bracket.
And it appears that the older the user, the less engaged. Just over 57% of users are 35+ … but this group only accounts for 40.6% of pageviews.
Yes – and I say this every time – I realise some Twitter users don’t use twitter.com … but this doesn’t mean looking deeper into the twitter.com domain numbers doesn’t give some insight into the users. (some may question this statement)
What about general numbers?
Of the 1.5m people who use the site, they generally spend around 10 minutes on it each month … and return just over 4 times.
Let’s compare these with Facebook. (no I’m not claiming they’re the same – it’s just a comparison)
Of the 8.1m people who use the site, they generally spend around 6 hours 28 minutes on it each month … and return just over 20 times.